- Maize Variety Options for Africa Smallholders
Read about DTMA journey and success through pictures and country profiles featured in this series across the 13 DTMA countries. CIMMYT and IITA in close collaboration with private and public sector developed over 200 varieties with preferred farmer traits to help them address the drought constraint as well as other drought-related challenges. Each infograph provides country-specific maize production context and …
- The legacy of drought tolerant maize in Africa
The Drought Tolerant Maize for Africa Project has contributed towards improving seed system in sub-Saharan Africa for the past almost nine years (2007–2015), through development of drought-tolerant well-adapted maize hybrids and open-pollinated varieties to help farmers across 13 countries in eastern, west and southern Africa, cope with drought constraint in maize farming. In 2014 alone, the project supported production of …
- DT Maize Vol. 4 No. 4 December 2015
This last edition of DTMaize bulletin marks the conclusion of the Drought Tolerant Maize for Africa (DTMA) Project launched in 2007 and implemented in 13 countries across sub-Saharan Africa. For the past nine years DTMA has contributed towards improving seed system in sub-Saharan Africa through development and dissemination of drought-tolerant maize varieties to help farmers cope with drought constraint in …
DTMA on the blog
- Uganda team shines at DTMA awards for eastern Africa
By Florence Sipalla/CIMMYT The Drought Tolerant Maize for Africa (DTMA) project recognized country teams that demonstrated excellence in breeding and disseminating drought-tolerant maize varieties during the Regional Maize Working Group (MWG) meeting held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, from 17 to 19 February.
- Seed Systems Team Strategizes and Plans for Africa
By Florence Sipalla/CIMMYT The CIMMYT-Africa seed systems team met in Nairobi, Kenya, on 7 February to take stock of progress in 2013, identify challenges and brainstorm on turning those challenges into opportunities. Global Maize Program (GMP) Director B.M. Prasanna and members of the breeding, communications and socioeconomics teams also attended.
- Trained maize breeders can bring huge benefits to Africa
CIMMYT recently conducted an intensive, three-week course in Kenya for 37 young maize breeders – including 10 women – to provide them the knowledge and skills to use modern breeding methods efficiently in their maize programs. The course included participants from national programs and seed companies in 14 African countries.
A New Generation of Maize for Africa
- Characterization of maize germplasm grown in eastern and southern Africa: Results of the 2006 region
- Characterization of Maize Producing Households in Cacuaco and Lobito Municipalities of Angola
- DTMA Annual Highlights 2008
- Characterization of maize germplasm grown in eastern and southern Africa – 2007 Regional Trials
- DTMA Seed Sector Analysis in Eastern and Southern Africa 2008
Other maize videos